It is the time of the year again that every football fan adores. The start of the transfer window. Fans up and down the country will be eagerly anticipating who their club will sign and if any marquee signings will be made. For us Chelsea fans we can often expect to see big money being thrown about to sign football superstars but this summer aside from the pursuits of Hulk, Eden Hazard and Edinson Cavani there is one player I’d like to see us to take a punt on. City’s Adam Johnson is apparently disillusioned with life at the Etihad due to his lack of game time and he could be the perfect signing for us.
1. English – Johnson, as an English player would help us to fulfil our quota of home grown players for the Champions League. The emergence of Josh McEachran and Ryan Betrand combined with the signing of Gary Cahill means that we have more English players than this time last season. The end however is nearing for Frank Lampard and in a few years John Terry and Ashley Cole will also hang up their boots so signing someone like Johnson would provide us with a great English platform for the next few years.
2. Width – One thing we constantly struggle with is our wide play. Florent Malouda is not the player he was a few seasons ago and Danny Sturridge cuts inside too much and is too selfish to be a natural wide player. Juan Mata should stay in the middle so signing Johnson will provide us with natural width that none of our players can really match.
3. Creativity – Johnson is ultimately an exciting player, he makes things happen. England fans haven’t seen a more inventive player since Joe Cole in his heyday. He can play on either flank and is comfortable cutting inside on to his left or taking his man and putting a cross into the box. Roman wants us to play more exciting football and the players he is pursuing suggests that so signing someone like Johnson will add more creativity and flair to our team.
4. Cheap – Johnson is not one of City’s stellar names but Roberto Mancini clearly values him so he won’t be dirt cheap. He is however very open to a move so we would be looking at under £7 million which is extremely cheap especially in comparison to some of the outrageous figures being quoted by Hulk’s agent.
5. Hardworking – Like most players Johnson has been known to throw the odd strop but that is mainly when he feels he is being treated harshly. When he is playing regularly in a team he can be as hard-working as any and will always give 100% to aid his team. We have seen that at England and during his in-form periods at City. Our lack of natural wingers mean that he would be starting most games possibly on the opposite flank to Marko Marin which could be a deadly partnership.
Adam Johnson would represent a fantastic bit of business for Chelsea especially if we lose out in the race for Eden Hazard. City will undoubtedly strengthen in the summer and it is quite possible Johnson will drop further down the pecking order meaning he will want to leave even more. He is being linked with Sunderland and Everton but personally I feel he deserves to be playing at a higher level.