Chelsea Supporters from as far as Italy came to our Cobham training ground on Sunday 12th July for the second annual Chelsea Supporters Tournament.

The weather forecast predictions earlier in the week were proved wrong, with rain barely surfacing. Hundreds of people turned up for it, and it was yet again a complete success.

Interest in entering was again high, so names were picked out of a hat, and each team again had an ex player as their manager.

Group A
Chelsea Italia – Colin Pates
CFCUK (Holders) – Gareth Hall
Blue and White Army (BAWA) – Ken Monkou
Hastings Chelsea – Graham Wilkins

Group B
Chelsea Supporters Group (CSG) – Trevor Aylott
CFCnet – Steve Finnieston
Bucks Chelsea – Paul Canoville
Bristol and Bath – David Lee

Group Stage

CFCnet 4 – 1 Buck’s Chelsea
The game started very evenly, if anything Bucks Chelsea were just edging it, they created some good chances but were unable to find the net. Olly opened the scoring for CFCnet with an outstanding shot from near the corner of the area, the ball flew in at the far post giving the keeper no chance.

His and CFCnet’s second came soon after with another cracking goal, cutting in from the right hand side on the edge of the box, he took it past a few players, and blasted it with his left foot into the right hand side of the goal.

Paul then added to the goal of the tournament contenders with a left footed effort from just in front of the halfway line, a beauty of a shot that caught the keeper off guard.

Celebrations were cut short however, as Bucks Chelsea shot straight from kick off, the equally audacious effort floating over our keeper and dropping just under the bar.

A few minutes later, all signs of a potential Buck’s Chelsea comeback were off the cards, when James played a well timed ball through to Olly to run on to, taking it round the on-rushing keeper before slotting it home.

Jock was already very into the role, going round congratulating and shaking hands with all our players as we came off the pitch.

CFCnet 4 – 0 Bristol and Bath
The team that started this match was the same as the side that ended the last match, and it was Olly’s header from a corner that put us into a first half lead. The order of goals escapes me but I believe that Ritchie got the second goal after a bit of a scramble in the box, Pauls in swinging free kick, adided by clipping George’s hand made it three nil, before Olly made it four.

After these two matches, both us and CSG had won both our matches so had qualified.

CFCnet 1 – 6 CSG (we think)
Both teams had the chance to rest some key players and take the foot off the gas, although top spot, pride and a 100% record were still up for grabs. The game didn’t start well for us, and got gradually worse, what was one nil became two, three and four, with the consolation goal being an outstanding effort from Paul’s son Charlie, whereby he received the ball on the edge of the box, with the ball on his right foot, he turned inside the defender switching to his ‘weaker’ left, and hammered his shot past the keeper.

Group B overall standings:
Chelsea Supporters Group
Bucks Chelsea
Bristol and Bath

BAWA won Group A, with Chelsea Italia second, CFCUK came third and Hastings Chelsea finished last.

The results meant that we’d play against the old enemy BAWA in the semi’s, with the other semi final being contested between CSG and Chelsea Italia.

The Plate
Bucks Chelsea Vs Hastings Chelsea
CFCUK Vs Chelsea Bristol and Bath

Semi Final

CFCnet 0 – 2 Blue And White Army (BAWA)
Three years after the first meeting between the sides, we were still looking for our first victory over them. Previous encounters have always been a friendly affair, but this looked like it might be a turning point when a wild swing from one of the BAWA defenders took central midfielder and our top goalscorer Olly clean out, the ref not even giving a booking for it, which prompted Jock Finnieston to enter the pitch and aim some words at the ref. The first half finished goalless, and IMO fairly even.

With just over five minutes of the second half remaining, BAWA scored to make it 1-0, before added a second about a minute from time. It was good to see Kenny Monkou come on the pitch at the end of the match to shake every CFCnet players hand too.

CFCUK lost the plate final to Buck’s Chelsea.

Congratulations to CSG, who beat BAWA 1-0 in the Trophy Final.

Thanks to CFCnetter Rob for taking time to coach us, both in training sessions and on the day, and Matt for supplying out kit.

A special thanks to Jock and the other managers who attended, their presence capped off a great day, it was great to yet again have a former pro giving us advice and encouragement, our coach also said he got some good advice from Jock. A big thanks also to all Chelsea officials who helped with the day, in particular David Newby, and to Cliff from CSG for organising the event. Hopefully we can have the event again next season.

Chelsea’s official report

CFCnet’s Dan Davies’ photo’s

CSG photo’s

Facebook Comments