The arrival of Diego Costa left Chelsea fans excited that for the first time in almost 2 years an inform, confident striker would be playing at Stamford Bridge again. The sales of Ba and Lukaku in quick succession meant the club had recouped just over £30 Million, surely the money would be reinvested in a second striker to back up main man Costa? Then came the return of Drogba. Now, Didier’s status as a Chelsea legend isn’t questioned, I could eulogise about how much he has done for Chelsea and how great he is but I don’t need to, everyone knows. But, what can be questioned is what he will bring to the team in terms of quality and how his arrival leaves the balance of the strikers.
There’s no doubt that Drogba’s move wasn’t all to do with what he will bring to the field, his experience, love of the club and legendary status can give confidence to the dressing room. With old guard Lampard and Cole already removed and possibly still Cech; Jose must have felt it was important to restore the balance between youth and experience, rightly so.
I’m sure both Chelsea fans and Mourinho are realistic when it comes to thinking about what to expect from a 36 year old. It’s unlikely to believe that he will have the ability to play 20+ games this season, that being said he did feature 36 times last term for Galatasaray. It seems he’s at the club in a coaching capacity and when he can, help the team out on the pitch.When Monday nights game against Burnley was petering out, Mourinho looked to his bench and chose Drogba, not Torres.
The inconsistency shown by Torres throughout his spell at Chelsea has been frustrating and it seems ad if Mourinho cannot trust him to follow simple instructions he sets out. Theoretically speaking if an injury to Costa occurs, the thought of Torres leading the line for a sustained period of time is horrifying and arguably unacceptable. Mourinho has deployed Torres mainly on the wing in pre-season so it’s clear what he thinks of his contribution as a lone striker…
It appears that Torres is indeed third choice and it says a lot about him if he is willing to sit there, take his money and have no real desire to leave. That being said, why should he? Torres isn’t the first player to know he won’t feature much and appear to accept being surplus to requirements. At 30 years of age the Spaniard has at least 4 years left at the top. There is and has never been a shortage of takers, regardless of his form or attitude, he’s a big name and will recoup most of his fee on shirt sales alone. It’s reported that Torres earns around £175,000 a week. In an era of Financial Fair Play that wage really isn’t sustainable especially for a squad rotation player, at best. If Chelsea were unable to sell him, I’m sure the club wouldn’t be opposed to loaning him, even if Chelsea were to pay half of his wages it would allow the club to use the 50% they have saved to pay the wages of an incoming striker.
Mattia Destro of Roma is the latest striker to be linked with a move to Chelsea and the enquiry is said to have proposed Torres go the other way on loan. Although the 23 year old Italian is a great prospect and coming off a great season with Roma, it seems like an unlikely and complicated deal.
For me there is an option that can be done quickly and cheaply, Loic Remy. The QPR striker (who seemed to be Liverpool bound earlier in the window) is available for as little as £8 Million. With Harry Redknapp looking to sell, the deal could be completed in a matter of days. The Frenchman offers something different compared to the physical presences of Costa and Drogba. His genuine pace can be frightening on the break and his intelligent runs would make it easy for Fabregas et al to slot him in. At times his finishing is a little erratic but he will have plenty of chances in a much better team. His versatility of being able to play on either wing would appeal to Mourinho; who likes his players to be flexible. Remy isn’t world-class and I’m not trying to claim he is but it seems like a logical deal.